Translate

Friday, July 11, 2014

Sweet Southern Meat Loaf

This was My Grammy's Recipe
It is the most delicious meat loaf
I've made a couple additions
Honey and nutmeg makes this sauce so very lovely!
My mother made an Italian version with green pepper, which was good
But I am so partial to this meat loaf.. Its the best I've ever had
Ingredients:
2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup Vidalia Sweet Onion, minced
1/2 cup Celery, minced
1 teaspoon Season-All, Seasoned Salt
1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Roasted Garlic, mashed or 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Dry Mustard
3 slices White Bread, ground into crumbs
1/8 cup Warm Milk
2 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup Honey
Sauce:
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Because I was making potato salad the same day I seasoned/marinated my meat loaf
I used celery and onion juice in these loaves.
Great idea for those who don't like to bite down on chunks on celery and onion.
 I placed the ground beef into a gallon size Ziploc bag
then added the liquids, seasonings and honey
This makes for a less messy way of mixing the meat
Once mixed, refrigerate overnight
Before forming into loaves
Heat milk (do not boil) add to bread crumbs
whisk eggs
Add the breadcrumbs and milk to the meat mixture 
Combine sauce ingredients
 Divide the meat mixture into two equal parts
Place the meat into two Pyrex (502 refrigerator dishes) loaf pans
 Pour sauce over top, cover with glass lids
Bake 30-40 minutes @ 350 degrees F. 
 Glass lids help to cook the loaves more evenly
*&*
As you can see, they also prevent splatter in the oven
Enjoy! 
I like to serve these with Calico Beans, Fried Cabbage and Cornbread Muffins.
I will be posting those recipes as well.
  Below I served a large meat loaf with creamed spinach, glazed baby carrots, and creamy garlic mashed potatoes and gravy.


So glad you have stopped by
I love to read comments from folks visiting me in blogland.
I look forward to new ideas, suggestions, requests
and even any alterations you may have made to one of my recipe posts.
So please leave me a comment and I will buzz by your blog and do the same for you.
Come Back Soon
*&* Often
You're Welcome Anytime!
Aim ♥
 
        Have The Best Day Ever!





2 comments:

  1. Well here is another great menu idea my friend. You are incredible. Love this one too. Thanks for sharing.
    Not sure why but your posts for follow by email are all coming at the same time in one email. So I am trying to catch up a bit.
    Have a nice rest of the weekend.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to have to get some glass baking dishes, Aim. I haven't made meat loaf in a few months because the bottom was coming out crunchy from the baking loaf pan I've been using {and I spray it with Pam}. Plus, since I'm gluten free, I use corn flake crumbs instead of bread crumbs. It always cooked up fine until a few months ago. Very moist with the corn flake crumbs. Anyway, I'd love to try out your recipe {without the bread crumbs, of course}, but I think I need to get that glass dish first. : )

    ReplyDelete