Translate

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Shrimp Salad


My Very Favorite Family Recipe... Dad's Shrimp Salad
I love seafood and this is one of my favorite family recipes
It is so much better than any Seafood Restaurant
The original recipe came from my Father-in-Law
He lovingly taught me step by step how to make his delicious Shrimp Salad
Dad would always ask my opinion when he tried something new
The original was delicious but when Dad grated it on a box grater... Wow!! Total keeper
Major F-l-a-v-o-r
Dad jokingly said the great flavor came from his fingernails and knuckles that the box grater shaved off
I bought him a mini food processor for Christmas just for making his shrimp salad LoL
As with most recipes I ended up altering it

I've been steaming shrimp for years!
I'll also be adding my recipe and instructions on how to cook the shrimp
My additions
Green Bell Pepper, Fresh Lemon Juice, Old Bay Seasoning
Substitutions
White Wine Vinegar for Distilled Vinegar
Sauce Ingredients:
7 1/2 ounces Mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tablespoons Prepared Yellow Mustard
1 Tablespoon Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tablespoon Baby Dill Pickles, minced or grated
1/2 cup Celery, minced or grated 
1/2 cup Sweet Vidalia Onion, minced or grated
2 Tablespoons Baby Carrots, minced or grated 
2 Tablespoons Green Bell Pepper, minced or grated
2 Tablespoons Red Bell Pepper, minced or grated
 
When I make shrimp macaroni salad I also add
my homemade salad sauce that I use for my Potato and Macaroni salads
Gorgeous, Right! *&* Oooh sooo Yummy!

Steamers
 
choose your favorite Shrimp
1 Beer of your choice
1/2 cup White Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup Water
6 Tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
1 pound Shrimp
Simple enough, and tastes so great!
 
Bring all ingredients *except shrimp* to a rolling boil
Add shrimp, cover
Boil on high for 5-6 minutes.
Serve hot or cold with Seafood Dipping Sauce, recipe below
I also have a really awesome Seafood Dipping Sauce aka Cocktail Sauce
1 cup Ketchup
2 Tablespoons Prepared Horseradish
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
Pinch of Old Bay Seasoning or Cayenne pepper, optional
 
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together
Serve chilled or at room temperature.




So glad you have stopped by
I love to read comments from folks visiting me in blogland.
I look forward to new ideas, suggestions, requests
and even any alterations you may have made to one of my recipe posts.
So please leave me a comment and I will buzz by your blog and do the same for you.
Come Back Soon
*&* Often
You're Welcome Anytime!
Aim ♥
 
        Have The Best Day Ever!
 

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it special when fond family memories inspire our menus. This salad looks so good and I am sure it was a happy time making it with your father in law. It look delicious. Your photos really are making me hungry!!
    Thanks again for sharing your recipes and amazing talents for cooking.
    Have a wonderful week and 4th of July!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! Great photos. Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete