Translate

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Bean Soup

My Grammy's Soup Beans recipe
This recipe is an Antique from Grammy's childhood
 
her mother was cooking this over a 100 years ago
This is one of those recipes that needs just a few very basic ingredients to develop great flavor
 
Ingredients
1/2 pound Great Northern Beans
1/2 pound Pinto Beans
1/2 pound Fat Back, I recommend Gwaltney brand
2 Quarts Water, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
*****************************
I add the following
1/2 stick Butter
2 Tablespoons Bacon grease
1.5 cups diced ham
Onion, finely chopped
Carrots, sliced 
 
Tips:
Navy beans can easily be substituted for the great northern beans. I use BOTH great northern and navy beans along with the pinto beans.

and salt pork, ham or ham hock may be substituted for the fat back
 
Preparation Directions
Overnight Soak - Rinse beans let stand overnight or at least 8 hours
Remove and discard all floating beans
Drain and rinse beans
 
Cooking Directions
In a large stock pot over medium-high heat add 1 quart (8 cups) water along with all the ingredients.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low.

Simmer gently until desired tenderness and thickness is achieved
this usually takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a separate stock pot, add the remaining 1 quart of water
simmer on low heat while the beans are cooking you will need to
add more water as the water evaporates.
Adding cold water will slow down your cooking time.
Serve with my Corn Muffins (recipe posted separately) and Honey Butter.
 
 
So glad you have stopped by
I love to read comments from folks visiting me in blogland.
I look forward to new ideas, suggestions, requests
and even any alterations you may have made to one of my recipe posts.
So please leave me a comment and I will buzz by your blog and do the same for you.
Come Back Soon
*&* Often
You're Welcome Anytime!
Aim ♥
 
        Have The Best Day Ever!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I think I can smell this cooking! My husband loved bean soup and what more precious than to have a recipe that was your grammy's! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aim, Like Cindy, I can smell this soup way out here in Texas. What a wonderful recipe and looks so delicious and super healthy.
    Very special to have this from your grammy.
    Love your pic and now I'm hungry!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete