Translate

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Tasty Tzatziki Sauce



Tzatziki is an ancient Greek sauce.
"This recipe is a delicious thick sauce for fish, grilled lamb, chicken, dressing for gyros, Greek salads and also makes a lovely dipping sauce for fresh vegetables and toasted pita bread triangles.
Please note: Best results achieved when chilled overnight after preparation."

 
Ingredients:
3 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons fresh dill, ends trimmed, grated or minced
1 cup plain yogurt, drained in cheesecloth
1 cup sour cream, pour off excess liquid
1 Large cucumber (9"x1.5") - peeled, seeded, minced and drained in cheesecloth
1 Tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
2 + 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juiced
2 teaspoons Bon Appetite seasoning
1 teaspoon ground white pepper to taste
 Directions:
In a food processor or blender, mince cucumber.
Place minced cucumber in cheesecloth, gather cloth completely around cucumber forming a ball.
While twisting the cheesecloth very tightly, squeeze the ball of cucumber with your other hand.
Keep repeating, until no liquid remains.
Unfold, sprinkle with salt, rewrap, twist and squeeze again.
Should yield 1/2 to 2/3 cup (5 to 6 ounces) of liquid from my cucumber.
Place yogurt into cheesecloth, and squeeze/wring out excess liquids.
Combine garlic, dill, olive oil and lemon juice to the food processor.
Pulse on high until well-combined.
Transfer to a separate dish, gently fold in yogurt, sour cream and minced cucumber.
Season with Bon Appetite and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

Garnish with fresh dill before serving.
Note:
Yogurt will break down if it is stirred with too much force, especially using a food processor!
Gently fold the yogurt in with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
Thanks for stopping by, please leave a comment if you enjoyed this blog/recipe.
I'm still new to blogging, so your feedback will let me know how I'm doing.
:^) Have the Best Day Ever!

UPDATE:
I wanted to share a few dinner for brother photo's.
My big brother and cousin are foodie's
They follow the food books and take the eating tours.
Their food quest travels take them all over the US.
I'm constantly trying to *wow* my big brother with dishes.
I did just that with this Tzatziki sauce...
He said it is better than restaurant quality.

Welcome to our dinner table :^)
Adorable napkin bow, right?
I found it & instructions over at http://nancycreative.com/?s=napkin 
Thank you Nancy!
Grammy's chairs do not go with the antique table beneath the lovely vintage tablecloth
But it was nice to feel as if we had a bit of our beloved Grammy joining us at dinner.
 I will blog about the table as well, it is such a lovely antique
it has extensions that slide in and up under the table.
 All the beautiful woodwork in this room was done by
My Firefighting Carpenter Hubby.
Our main entrée was suppose to be the salmon topped with the Tzatziki sauce
Since big brother is a non-seafood eater I also made chicken and steak.
The guys really liked this Apricot Chicken and Naval Apricot Sauce
Its made with Apricot preserves, Russian dressing, Dry onion soup mix & spices.

I also marinated and grilled a huge steak for big brother
Which he shared with everyone at the table :^) Good guy!
The steak was one of my favorites.
Entrees
Apricot Chicken with Naval Apricot sauce 
Marinated Grilled Steak
Seared Salmon
Sides
Almond and Mushroom Rice Pilaf
Balsamic Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions 
Steamed Vegetables with Lemon Butter Sauce
Tzatziki Sauce
Dinner Rolls were sooo Good!
Dessert
Blueberry Pie

*I will be adding all the recipes soon.*
So check back if you're interested in one of them.

Have The Best Day Ever!


So glad you have stopped by
I love to read comments from folks visiting me in blogland.
I look forward to new ideas, suggestions, requests
and even any alterations you may have made to one of my recipe posts.
So please leave me a comment and I will buzz by your blog and do the same for you.
Come Back Soon
*&* Often
You're Welcome Anytime!
Aim ♥

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! This looks delicious. We have a restaurant in town that serves something similar. I always wondered how it was made. I will definitely be trying this one :)

    ReplyDelete