Translate

Friday, February 20, 2015

Caramel Apple Oatmeal

Good Morning :)

I like to make a hot breakfast for my son. His favorite is porridge aka cream of wheat. I make it with milk, vanilla and a touch of brown sugar. But he also really enjoys a creamy oatmeal. I accomplish this by grinding the oats into a flour consistency.
I decided to try adding a topping to his oatmeal.
INGREDIENTS
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Apple, cord and diced
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
2 Tablespoons Light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Apple butter
1/4 cup warm water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon grated naval orange peel
2 teaspoons pure Vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg

Note: if you have a picky eater, peel the apple, as the skin leaves a slight bite to it.

DIRECTIONS
Core and dice Apple
Zest orange
Melt butter in saucepan over med heat.
Add diced apples, sauté 15-18 minutes. Or until desired tenderness is reached.
Mix cornstarch with warm water, then add apple butter and vanilla.
Followed by the Apple pie spice and nutmeg. I used pumpkin pie spice (what I had on hand) it was good.
Add the brown sugar and maple syrup to the sautéed apples.
Simmer until thickened. Serve over oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, etc. I severed over a creamy spiced oatmeal. Recipe below.
For the oatmeal
I pretty much cook the oatmeal according to the directions on the packaging. With the exception of adding all milk, no water.
I also add 
1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
A pinch Apple pie spice
A splash Pure vanilla extract
No salt, doesn't need it.







No comments:

Post a Comment