For several years now I have wanted to make these cookies. I cannot wait to try this recipe, they look fantastic.
Italian Anisette S Cookies
Author: Ashley... Thank you for sharing your family recipe Ashley :)
Recipe type: cookie, dessert
Serves: 5 dozen
Old recipe for Italian Anisette Cookies, or "S" cookies, like my husband's grandma used to make. These will be a great addition to your holiday cookie tray.
- 1½ sticks of unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temp
- ½ cup milk, room temp
- 5 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 6 generous teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons anise extract (can use lemon or almond extract)
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- ½ pound of confectioners’ sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Mix in the anise. Add in the milk and flour, alternating portions of each until all combined.
- Turn dough onto a floured board and knead until dough is firm and not sticky, adding more flour if necessary.
- Break off a handful of dough at a time and roll into long pencil, cut into 5 or 6 inch pieces. Shape into ‘S’ shape on ungreased cookie sheet. These cookies will puff up. Bake approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove to cool on rack, then frost. Makes about 5 dozen depending on size of cookie.
- Frosting: In a large bowl, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add in ½ pound of confectioners’ sugar. Stir in milk, stirring to incorporate well, to a desired consistency for frosting the cookies. Brush on cookies or use a spoon, apply sprinkles right away and return to rack to set.
- Let cool completely and store in airtight containers.
Visit http://wishesndishes.com/italian-anisette-cookies/?m for the original recipe, photos and instructions.